Tuesday, December 2, 2008

We Wear the Mask

Sister Paterson really went and did it this time. She delivered that final knife in my chest and proceeded to twist it, but I didn't cry out in pain. I've learned to carefully disguise my emotions. She'll see just enough to think something is going on, but will never know the true extent. I won't give her the satisfaction.
As Paul Laurence Dunbar says, I Wear The Mask.

We Wear the Mask
by Paul Laurence Dunbar


We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,­-
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.

Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask.

We smile, but, O great Christ, our cries
To thee from tortured souls arise.
We sing, but oh the clay is vile
Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
But let the world dream other-wise,
We wear the mask!

No comments: